Pancakes & Vegan caramel
Vegan caramel is perfect for topping, it’s all natural, without refined sugar, only made with dates, water, salt and vanilla extract. The taste is really close from the “real caramel” (the French one with sugar, butter or cream), and it’s perfect with this lightly sweet pancake’s recipe.
This recipe is sugar free, dairy free, oil free, and could be gluten free depending on the flour used.
|• For 20 pancakes||• 10 min prep||• 20 min cooking time|
• For pancakes:
– 30 cl soymilk
– 1 egg
– 1 sachet of baking powder
– 220 g wheat flour or gluten free flour
– 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
• For the vegan caramel:
– 10 pited dates
– Hot water
– A pinch of salt
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• Sift together flour and baking powder. Beat together the egg, milk and agave syrup, then pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until no lumps.
• The dough for pancakes is ready: In a preheated pan, lightly oil with a paper towel and then put the tablespoons spaced dough. The pancakes will swell, then back gently when small bubbles will burst the surface, the pancakes should be golden brown, if it is overcooked, you must reduce heat.
• To prepare the vegan caramel: pit and chop the dates, soak in hot water for 10 min. Then mix together the dates, salt and vanilla and add gradually hot water to obtain a semi-liquid creamy (you must mix long enough). The caramel can be heated without problems and poured over the pancakes.