Epiphany Cake – vegan
The Epiphany Cake (or King Cake, “galette des Rois” in French) is a pure French pastry product that uses lots of butter, milk, eggs and sugar (in puff pastry and pastry cream), so this is very rich !
The solution proposed in this recipe is to enjoy the many properties of the almond, already present in the frangipane cream, to make a vegan cake, lighter than the original, but just as tasty!
This recipe is vegan, refined sugar free, and dairy free.
|• For 8/10||• 25 min prep||• 35-40 minutes cooking|
– 2 puff pastries without butter
– 270 ml almond milk
– 30 g whole cane sugar
– 25 g cornflour
– 20 g of neutral vegetable oil
– 30 g agave syrup
– 70 g of nuts/almond butter
– 130 g ground almonds
– 1 tablespoon vanilla / or bitter almond flavor / or rum
– apricot jelly or jam for glazing
– a lucky charm
• Preheated the oven to 180°C.
• Remove the two discs of puff pastry from the fridge and let stand at room temperature.
• Prepare the pastry cream: dilute the cornstarch in 70 ml of almond milk and set aside.
• Bring the remaining milk and whole cane sugar to the boil and add the cornstarch diluted whisking well until the mixture thickens (2-3 minutes).
• Remove from heat, let cool a few minutes continuing to stir, then add the neutral oil, the nuts/almond butter (homemade recipe here), agave syrup, almond powder and the flavor selected. Mix well to obtain a smooth texture. Let cool a few minutes continuing to stir.
• To make the cake, place a disc of puff pastry on a baking sheet protected with a baking paper. Prick the bottom with a fork, and spread the frangipane cream, leaving an edge of 3 cm (remember to file the lucky charm!). With a brush, moisten the board with water and then cover with the second puff pastry.
• Using two fingers or a fork, press edges to weld the well. Design decorations on top of the cake with the tip of a knife, and bake for 35-40 minutes cooking. 5 minutes before end of cooking, brush the top of the cake with a little bit of jelly or apricot jam for browning. Be careful to watch the cooking and not to burn the cake!
Note: The frangipane will not yellow but brown because of the whole cane sugar and homemade almond butter are unrefined products, rather brown!